Modern pressed flowers...from the microwave!

DIY: Modern Pressed Flowers for a First Birthday Keepsake

A few months ago, a friend’s son celebrated his first birthday. We attended the bash and had a great time. Since she and her family were heading out of town the next day, she asked if I wanted to enjoy the flowers she had at the party—”why let good flowers go to waste?” she asked. I was happy to oblige!

I don’t know where the idea came from, but I was looking at her arrangement and kept thinking “hmm, I wonder if I can do anything with these flowers so she can have them as a keepsake?” Somewhere, out-of-the ethers I decided I was going to press the flowers and make a framed picture. The only problem is that I’ve never pressed flowers before…so I did what any good DIYer would do and took to google and Pinterest!

What I thought was going to be a painstaking process, turned out (to my great delight) actually quite simple. Rather than waiting weeks for the flowers to dry in a book, I found a more modern approach using the…wait for it…microwave! I won’t go in to all the details, but you can read about on this post here. I did make a few of my own adjustments including more sessions in the microwave to make sure all the water was out and reusing of the paper and cardboard. It was easier for me to do them one at a time, but once I got the hang of it, I was on my way. I was surprised at how easy the process was and how vibrant the colors came out. I will definitely be using this technique again!

It took me some time, but I finally got all of my supplies together including a super cute frame TJ Maxx [p.s.. TJ Maxx and HomeGoods are my go-tos for the best unique frames. I can usually score good ones in the clearance aisle for half the cost of those at Michael’s or Target]. I ordered 3M Spray Adhesive and picked up some scrapbook paper from Michael’s. I chose scrapbook paper to give the back ground a cool texture, rather than a flat surface which I think is more visually appealing.

Finished Product

Finished Product

Putting it all together was easy. First I cut the scrapbook paper to fit the size of the frame. Next I arranged the flowers on the paper how I wanted them to look. Then, I took a picture–because let’s face it, I wasn’t going to get it back on the same way without some reference. One-by-one I sprayed the back of the flowers and placed them back on my paper starting from the deepest layer and working my way to the top. Finally, I dated my work with her son’s birthday and voila, my project was complete!

Until next time DIYers… 🙂

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *